Feb 23, 2011

childbirth fears & jitters

So I am so excited and so nervous to be giving birth to my daughter. I have been to birthing classes, and breastfeeding classes trying to prepare myself for what is coming in 9 short weeks. (or earlier) I am praying and hoping and preparing for a natural childbirth. I have a midwife and we talked about natural delivery and she is right on board. Which makes me super happy and I have a lot of freedom with my hospital. 


My midwife said I can do an IV port so I am not attached to wires, also they will only monitor the baby for segments at a time so I can get up and walk around, take a shower, and go on my birthing ball. I have been trying to mentally prepare myself for this pain and how bad it is going to be. I have been reading about natural ways to progress my labor, and different positions that help move the baby down the birth canal. Now I know that if there is medical need for me to have a c-section, or something serious needs to happen I will NOT stop my midwife and nurse staff from doing what they need to do to help my child and myself. BUT with that being said I will stick to my natural birthing process until that occurrence arises if it ever does.


I have heard so many wonderful natural birthing stories that took place in hospitals so I am praying that I am one of them. My cousin has had both of her girls at home all natural and she has given me wonderful advice. I know I need to practice getting into a zone where I shut everyone and everything out while going through a contraction and just relax. I think that is where my ipod will definitely be my best friend and I can just zone out while in pain. I think what gets me the most is that I have never experienced this before so the unknown is really freaking me out more then actually going into labor. 


It really helps me reading other women and their stories through their blogs about their natural childbirth. I know not everyone is the same and everyone has different labors but it really puts my mind at ease. I am flexible with my birth plan if an emergency arises but other then that I do not want any drugs of any kind. Women are meant to do this, and I believe I can do it naturally. 


Now I am NOT judging, if you did not have or did have a natural birth, I am not saying one is better then the other. This is just my preference and what I think is best for my family. Everyone is different.

3 comments:

Overthinking Mama said...

I had an epidural and was induced with both of my kids. The next one I really want to try it all naturally. I think I can do it, but like you I am already scared (and I am not even prego) because I don't know how that pain is going to be.

The best of luck to you :-)

God Bless!

Jen said...

I had your SAME fears. I had all intentions of going natural (in hospital), and I had anxiety leading up to it..
The day I went into labor, all anxiety and fear subsided. I was at ease with myself and accepted the fact that there was no turning back. Long story short- after being in labor 13 hours, no sleep, with contractions 1.5 minutes long with a 30 second break in between, and stuck at an 8 for 4 hours, I just couldn't do it anymore. I begged for an epidural.
I'm not telling you this to freak you out, I just want you to know that the option is ALWAYS there and don't get down on yourself if you make the decision to get some assistance. I'm happy I made the decision I made- it relaxed me, and 2 hours later.. HELLO BABY!
Good luck- and just know your fears are OK!

Nikki @ Life Of A Single Mommy said...

Thanks Ladies!

I am lucky to have a hospital that gives you an epidural all the way up to 10cm so I ALWAYS have the option which I think is making my anxiety go down.

And I am starting to not feel so bad if I do take the drugs, cause like you Jen it could very well happen to me.

Thank you for writing your experience :)